Students: Storing Your Stuff in the summer
Is your young student in a transitional period between student residence and a new living situation? Did you ever consider putting their items into storage?
Leaving home for the first time is always an exciting change and adventure. But many families decide to downsize once their children go off to college. While you always want to keep a room open for them, perhaps extra storage would be less of a hassle rather than moving all their items back into the house in addition to purchasing new furniture for their next living situation.
Clothing, school supplies, furniture and various other items can take up a lot of space in the home. Here are some ideas to keep the clutter to a minimum.
Packing Clothing by Season
It’s summer – winter is over and the semester is over. Have them keep their essential summer clothing and store the rest of their clothing until a new living situation is secured.
Don’t worry, if that favorite dress or shirt is packed away you can always come to the ADT storage facility to retrieve it!
Swapping the seasonal items will help keep your home and their temporary room clutter-free. It also saves you the hassle of moving in and out so many items at once!
Prioritize and Organize
All the extra items from living in residence such as mattress covers, pads, bedding, shower items, bins and organizers can take up a lot of unnecessary space while your student is home for the summer. These are all items that may not have any use again or at least not immediately. Consider selling off items, giving them away, or putting them into storage.
Keeping items in storage could also allow you the flexibility to purchase items like a new bed frame or a TV when the sales are right. You won’t have to worry about where to put everything – and everything will be kept in one place for the next move.
Don’t let a transitional period turn your home into a cluttered mess. Put items away in a storage facility and have a stress-free summer!
Get Rid of Moths by Cleaning Before Storing
What a nightmare it would be to go into a storage space and find moths fluttering around and making a feast out of your most cherished possessions. Despite the barricades of protection we set up to prevent moths from gaining entry to and ruining our stuff, there always seems to be one or two that get away and are able to make their way through!
What are clothes moths?
Clothes moths are well-known pests that eat a wide range of fibres including hair, fur, silk, felt and feathers. Clothes moth infestations can cause significant damage to clothing, bedding, floor coverings and other articles.
What do clothes moths feed on?
Upholstery, hats, antique dolls and toys, natural bristle brushes, feathers, paper, leather, cotton, linin, silk, weavings, wall hangings, old furs and especially wool carpets are a gourmet delight to a moth. It’s the larvae, not the adult moths that feed on our cherished possessions. The larvae spin a small silken case around themselves as they feed. The cigar-shaped case enlarges as the larva grows.
How can we stop them from accessing our clothes and possessions?
It is an absolute must that you clean anything before you decide to put it away in storage. Egg laying moths are especially attracted to any fabric that has been soiled, stained with beverages, oil from hair or skin or sweat. Be sure that all cloth gets dry-cleaned, washed, pressed with a hot iron, sunned or brushed prior to storage in an airtight container with an effective moth repellent.
Moths also thrive in high humidity. About 75% relative humidity in a heated, dark room is an ideal moth environment. You can prevent their thriving by make sure you select a trusted storage company that has very low humidity levels and is controlled by a thermostat that keeps room temperature ideal for storage all year long.
Why Choose ADT Moving Storage for All Your Storage Needs?
Before the seasons change, take the opportunity to clean out that cluttered crawl space or rummage through your crowded attic and garage. Although cleaning up is always a good idea no matter what season it is, sometimes it’s just too difficult to part with our most cherished belongings. If you are in need of a little extra space but hesitant to let go of certain things, it is time to search for alternative solutions.
ADT Moving and Storage offers you a very convenient and fairly priced solution with our storage facilities that can fulfill all your storage needs. We offer a variety of specially designed packing materials. This includes specially designed boxes of different sizes, including wardrobe boxes, cushioning and protective material, adhesive tape, moving labels, mattress covers, carpet protectors, upholstery furniture covers and protective kits for dishes and glassware. With our quality packing products and affordable prices, ADT moving is your one-stop-shop for all your moving and storage needs.
Our facility’s environment is full controlled with a very effective cooling, heating and humidity control system. The facility is also fully fenced and protected, with various surveillance systems and a security team on guard duty 24/7. We guarantee that all your possessions will remain safe and well-protected while in our facility.
How Can I Protect My Antiques In Storage?
Do you have a sizable antiques collection? Whether you’re looking for short-term storage during an upcoming move or long-term storage because your collection has outgrown your home storage space, ADT Moving has a safe and secure storage option for you. With ADT Moving, you can get as much space as you need for as long as you need it, all at a great price.
To protect your antiques, follow these precautions before you rent a storage space:
• Inspect the storage facility yourself. ADT always welcomes its customers to visit our grounds. During the inspection, note how clean and well lit the storage spaces are.
• Make sure the facility provides some sort of round-the-clock electronic or video monitoring. At ADT, our storage facility boasts exterior lighting, fencing, gated entry, surveillance cameras, and on-site guard presence.
• Look for any evidence of a leaky roof or other water damage. A little water can do a lot of damage. While flooding is the obvious nightmare, it doesn’t take much water to turn your belongings into a soggy mess.
• Make sure the storage facility is climate-controlled. Antiques are sensitive to humidity and temperature and extreme temperatures and humidity ranges can lead to mold and mildew growth, metal corrosion, and paper rot. It is an absolute must that the unit will have individual temperature and humidity controls.
Storage tips of the ADT
Les entrepôts chez Déménagement ADT sont sûrs, surveillés et propres. Nous avons un système de chauffage et de refroidissement très efficace pour nous assurer que nous exerçons un contrôle climatique sur nos entrepôts. Nous avons également des systèmes de surveillance et des protocoles d’accès aux visiteurs stricts pour protéger vos biens.
Déménagement ADT offre les conseils suivants sur la façon d’aborder l’entreposage de vos biens :
– Emballez vos meubles avec des couvertures de feutre ou d’autres matériaux de protection.
– Utilisez les boules à mites pour les articles rembourrés et les tapis.
– Emballez les éléments fragiles tels que des miroirs et les vases avec une pellicule de protection.
– Créez une liste complète des articles qui vont être entreposés.
– Le taux d’entreposage mensuel est basé soit sur le volume ou le poids des conteneurs, ou une combinaison des deux.
– Envisagez l’élimination de certains éléments pour assurer que votre coût mensuel reste en dedans de votre budget.
– Les réfrigérateurs et les congélateurs doivent être entretenus pour y prévenir la croissance de moisissure.
– Les marchandises dangereuses, les objets périssables et les objets de valeur ne sont pas acceptables pour l’entreposage.
– Il est recommandé que les consommateurs qui placent des articles ménagers dans l’entrepôt doivent souscrire une assurance de dépôt. Pour une protection complète, assurez vos biens pour leur valeur complète. Pour cette protection, vous devrez payer une prime mensuelle avec les frais d’entreposage.
Whether you need extra space to store your seasonal items, a place to store furniture while you redecorate, or a storage unit for you furniture while you move homes, ADT Moving and Storagewill have the ideal private storage solution for you. At ADT Moving and Storage, we work to provide you with the storage solutions that will complement your needs and requirements whether it is for temporary storage space or more permanent storage options.
Our dry, clean and secure storage units located throughout the Montreal area and in several locations within Canada can cater to all sizes ranging from one square meter and upwards. Our facilities are well maintained, air conditioned and heated to the appropriate room temperatures depending on the season.
If you are not sure how much storage you require for your material, our representatives can calculate your storage needs and offer you storage options in addition to recommending what are the most suitable packing methods to protect your material while also saving storage space.
Whether you are storing merchandise or furniture, anything you decide to store with ADT is safe with us. Our facility premises are run under high security systems and our security guards verify the status of each lock on a daily basis. Clients who rent our storage facilities have easy access to their goods seven days a week.
We look forward to helping you solve all your storage needs and requirements.
Contact us for a free estimate – 1-888-903-6683 / 514-766-3300